HORSEMANSHIP LEVELS | AGES 12-17 | CO-ED
Overnight Camps with More Time for Horses!
Horse Specialty Camps are specifically designed for horse enthusiasts. Programs are geared towards junior and senior highschool students with focused training in several levels of horsemanship, including Wrangler training for those interested in potentially working as horsemanship staff in the future. Opportunity will also be given to learn about God’s love and to discuss what a relationship with Him could look like.
Click Below for Program Descriptions:
This program is great for those who have learned the basics of riding and are ready to build on their horsemanship skills in riding as well as ground work. This program gives you the opportunity to spend more time with horses outside of the regular camp horse program and will include evening trail rides and lessons. This program is great for anyone who has their second star or for those who have horse experience outside of camp and are looking to expand on their skills in an encouraging group setting. Ranchers who wish to achieve their star level based on CSR’s Star level system will still be able to do so. For more information on whether or not this is a good fit for you please call the camp office or check out our Checkpoint List below…
Intermediate Horsemanship Checklist:
- I can stop, turn and back up a horse
- I am comfortable walking and trotting a horse
- I have done a controlled lope on a horse
- I have achieved my second star (if a past rancher)
- I am comfortable riding a horse outside of an arena
- I can saddle a horse with little to no assistance
- I am comfortable performing basic tasks such as grooming and leading a horse
- I can catch and halter a horse
Advanced Horsemanship Checklist:
- I am comfortable at all basic gaits on a horse (walk, jog, trot, lope) and can perform these gaits
- I am familiar with the following terminology: Leg yielding, leads, transitions, posting diagonals
- I ride regularly outside of camp and/or am involved in a recreational riding club (4H, lessons, etc.)
- I am comfortable riding horses outside of an arena
WIT also includes practical horsemanship training as well as learning to run our regular camp programs and leading/mentoring kids. This is a great program for those who are looking to serve at camp specifically with the horsemanship program! Horse experience is a requirement (3rd Star and above).